Marijuana Tea? It’s a thing!
As a more relaxing alternative to coffee, tea is a go-to choice for those seeking a different flavor with nearly the same effects. Herbal and caffeinated variations are the most popular among tea sippers, but another flavorful herb is steaming up with popularity. Marijuana tea is brewing inside drinkers’ cups, and its properties are more beneficial than lucid.
Marijuana Tea: A history
Cannabis leaf tea has been in use by societies for centuries. Marijuana tea has been used as a home remedy for everything from aiding morning sickness and stress in pregnant women to helping school-age children focus in other countries like Jamaica and India. As an alternative method to smoking or eating cannabis products, marijuana tea gives all the same health benefits without any of the associated risks to the respiratory system. Some cannabis leaf tea users claim it burns the throat on the way down, but its longer lasting effects are worth it.
One of its most common uses for marijuana tea is for treating chronic pain. It absorbs through the digestive tract and liver within 30-90 minutes. It can stay in the system for up to 8 hours, making it key for soothing digestive/bowel issues, easing nausea, and calming anxious and depressive tendencies. Drinking cannabis leaf tea also improves circulation and blood pressure.
Marijuana buds make the strings brew and stems make the least potent. For a more balanced effect, try brewing the leaves. THC isn’t water soluble so steeping it with a fat like milk, butter or coconut oil will activate the medicinal properties. There are a few different ways to make marijuana tea but no matter the chosen one, it’s most important to pay attention to the dosage per cup. The process is somewhat trial and error, but first time users are recommended ½ cup (125 ml) per day and regular users are suggested a full cup (250 ml) per day. Those that need more should increase to have 500 ml today, split 12 hours apart.
For a simple recipe using marijuana leaves, look below.
- For each cup of tea you’ll need:
- 1-2 grams marijuana leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon softened, unsalted butter (or coconut oil for a non-dairy option)
- 1.5 cups water (400 ml)
- Optional: Flavored tea bag (mint or chamomile), milk and sweetener to taste
- Utensils: tea strainer, stainless steel pot, spoon
- Break apart the leaves and place them into a bowl.
- Add butter and mix thoroughly, covering each leaf piece with a little butter.
- Add the water to a stove top pot set to medium heat and slowly bring it to a simmer
- Gently scoop all of the marijuana butter mixture into the pot and keep the water simmering for 30 minutes. Stir often.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let it stand until bubbles stop boiling on the surface
- Once cooled, pour through a strainer and add optional ingredients if needed.
Marijuana tea can have a strong taste on its own, so feel free to add a flavored tea bag to the pot during the last 3-5 minutes of brewing. Mint or chamomile compliment the cannabis taste well.